Following a grease fire in Dieppe, fire officials are reminding everyone to be careful about cooking on your stovetop.
An Acadie Avenue apartment building was evacuated as a precaution on Tuesday after grease in a pot on the stove ignited and damaged a kitchen in one unit.
Dieppe District Chief Marc Cormer says firefighters have seen many similar incidents in recent years.
“The fire department highly recommends the use of deep fryers with thermostats to prevent these types of incidents,” he notes.
Cormier says grease fires can cause significant damage especially when people panic and throw water on them which can spread the fire and cause injuries.