The water in Thorn Brook, near Havelock is being tested after a dog died within hours of swimming last weekend.
Spokesperson Paul Bradley said water samples were taken Thursday and will be tested at the National Research Council Lab in Halifax.
The results will then be sent to New Brunswick’s provincial veterinarian Dr. Jim Goltz.
The Department of Agriculture, Aquaculture, and Fisheries say blue-green algae, some of which can produce toxins, is often associated with warm, shallow water, shorelines, and looks like a green scum or film on the surface.
The Department was informed of the deaths of six dogs after being near water this summer – three were submitted for necropsies.
Two dogs – both in the Fredericton area – were confirmed to have died after exposure to toxins produced by blue-green algae, while the third passed away from an internal hemorrhage.